Looking for a great product to sell on Amazon? Follow our formula to find an Amazon FBA winning product in 2023.
Ways to find a product to sell on Amazon FBA in 2023
January 17, 2023
Ways To Find A Product To Sell On Amazon FBA In 2023
Amazon is a thriving marketplace, and there is plenty of room for new entrepreneurs to get in on the action. The key to success on Amazon FBA in 2023 is finding a great product that will stand out among the rest. Easier said than done...right? Not necessarily. Keep reading for tips on finding a product to sell on Amazon this year!
How To Find A Product To Sell on Amazon FBA - Amazon FBA Product Ideas 2023
Finding a winning product is the first step you must take to master Amazon FBA. With over 300 million products for sale on this giant marketplace, you need a solid product selection strategy. Luckily, we've got you covered.
The truth is that finding a great product on Amazon is a science. It's not blind luck that leads sellers to high profits. Instead, successful sellers utilize tried and true formulas that guide them every step of the way - from market research to their product launch.
Today, we're giving away our formula! These are the steps we take to find winning products for our own Amazon FBA stores - and those of our clients.
The Most Important Step: Product Research
Finding a great product requires research. There's no way around it. You'll have to conduct research on Amazon, through third-party software, and on Google. This research aims to help you understand what niches are thriving, where there is room for growth, and what products are flourishing online.
Here are a few ways you can conduct product research:
- Start on Amazon. Check out the best sellers list to get a feel for what products are doing well. You can do this for the overall marketplace or look for best-sellers within a given category. If you notice seasonal items in the list, you can ignore these.
- Use Google Trends. As you start to find products you may be interested in, run the primary keywords associated with these products through a Google Trends search. Look for products with a steady upward trend - no sudden spikes up or down.
- Try Helium 10. Searching for data directly on Amazon can get you started - but it can only get you some of the necessary information. Our product research team trusts Helium10 for data you can't find within the Amazon platform. Use this program to evaluate competitor listings by their review health, seller rank, and overall profitability. This is the best tool we can recommend to anyone hoping to find a great product that is in demand and likely to succeed.
You want to choose a product that is already doing well on Amazon but doesn't have too many high-performing competitors. The key is finding a popular niche with room for you. Cross-check your data from all research points, and select a few winning ideas out of the bunch.
Pitfalls To Avoid When Finding A Product To Sell On Amazon
As you conduct your research, make sure to avoid some common mistakes new sellers make. Not every product is created equally.
- Avoid large, oddly shaped items. The smaller, lighter, and easier it is to fit an item into a small box - the better. You want to choose something lightweight that will ship inexpensively and quickly.
- Avoid items that are expensive to manufacture. Profit margin is king. That means you want to find items that won't cost you a ton to produce but can still sell for a reasonable price.
- Don't exclusively look for "cool" items. You aren't trying to be trendy here. Seasonal items, or products based on recent fads, may sell fast for a season...but that season will quickly come to an end once the holiday stops or the next trend comes along.
- Don't assume you have to like it. Product selection is based on research - not personal preference. If the best product idea you can find is something you have no interest in, don't shy away from it just because it doesn't spark "passion" in you.
Improving A Product To Sell On Amazon
When private label businesses became the next best thing for Amazon sellers, it was easy to rake in profits with a simple "copy and paste" method. Find a great product, slap your own label on it, and start selling. In 2023, this doesn't cut it anymore.
Your product research gave you a foundation. Now, it's time to build your own unique spin on the idea to stand out from your competition.
Not sure how to improve your product? Start here.
Study the reviews on competitor listings. Look for complaints about features that don't work well or features that customers wish the product had.
- Consider what would make the product better. If this product is within a niche that you find interesting, think about it from a customer perspective. What additions (or subtractions) would you find beneficial for this item? They don't have to be significant changes - even minor adjustments to a product can make a world of difference.
- Research the marketplace. You've already done some product research. Now it's time for you to research the niche your chosen products land in and what kind of customer is in that niche. Get to know them - what they like, dislike, and value. You may develop ideas for product customization, improvement, or bundling based on what you find about your "ideal" customer.
Once you've developed your improvement strategy, it's time to find a supplier to help you realize this idea.
Find A Trustworthy Supplier
You've looked through Amazon's best-selling products, found something promising, and devised ways to improve the product for your own Amazon FBA store. Now, it's time to find a supplier who can produce this product for you at a reasonable cost.
Finding a supplier takes time and effort. Most Amazon sellers have to rely entirely on sites like Alibaba to find a manufacturer in China or India with an excellent reputation. You can go this route if you'd like - ensure you exclusively work with vendors with a track record of success.
Avoid suppliers with less than one year of experience, a low on-time delivery performance, low reviews, or a low order count. Always look for verified manufacturers. And get quotes from multiple suppliers - never choose the first offer that comes your way.
In our experience, navigating all the available supplier options and maintaining a positive relationship with your supplier when relying entirely on digital communication can be challenging. That's why we launched our own EcomHub Sourcing Office in China - to facilitate product sourcing and improvement directly on the ground for our stores and clients. Students enrolled in the EcomHub Amazon FBA Academy automatically benefit from our on-the-ground sourcing office to get the best supplier and the fastest support possible.
Build Your Amazon FBA Store!
Once you've landed on a product idea, decided how to improve your product, and found a supplier - it's time to place your first order and build your store.
This can all be incredibly complicated, which is why we developed the FBA Academy 4.0. The FBA Academy provides freshly updated course content to walk you through each step of the process, as well as one-on-one mentorship to keep you on track. Not only do we teach you the science of Amazon FBA - we also offer services to take some of the difficult work off your shoulders, including a winning product idea chosen by our team of experts, product photography, listing creation, and more.
If this article has been helpful...but maybe a little overwhelming...that's okay! We'd love to help you find the perfect product to sell on Amazon FBA and teach you how to launch your first store. Happy selling!
Julia Grant is a copywriter specializing in e-commerce and small business, helping businesses expand their reach with copy that clearly communicates their message and converts. She is a certified translator and interpreter and prides herself on providing culturally relevant content in both English and Spanish.See more posts from this author